Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Doesn't the Admiral know you get off at 5???

Years ago, when we were first married, my husband was a photo journalist in the Navy. We were living in Norfolk, Virginia at the time; a small apartment, one car and a dog. We knew we were only going to be there a few months before our next set of orders so we did nothing to remedy the 'one car' issue, therefore, I did not have the ability to get a job.  I spent my days cleaning, cooking, watching TV, reading (a lot) and playing with my puppy. I waited with bated breath for the end of the day when he would pull into the parking spot right beside our ground-floor apartment.  It was a 45 minute drive from the base to our home and he always arrived at 5:45.  It was the best time of my day and I looked forward to it with great anticipation.  One day, however, 5:45 came and went. I thought perhaps there had been more traffic than usual...so I waited.  And waited. And waited.  Finally, after a couple of hours, he showed up.  I had been so worried (this was before the days of cell phones) - I imagined him lying by the side of road, dead.  When he finally arrived, I felt an incredible sense of relief and then overwhelming frustration. I didn't understand why he was alive, yet so late.  He just nonchalantly said to me "sorry I'm late, the admiral was in town."  The admiral? So? I didn't get it. I looked at him and said "doesn't the admiral know you get off at 5?"   He just laughed...and laughed.  Befuddled and slightly impatient, I did not understand what was so humorous. He explained to me that when an admiral is in town and wants something done, you do it. No questions asked. I was quite offended that this admiral took my husband away from me. Over the years, I grew to understand the military life from the spouse perspective and became more patient with these types of situations.

As a wife, it is never easy to share our husband with the rest of the world. After 20 years in the military, my husband retired and went to work with our local sheriff department. For the most part, his hours are amazing.  He is the public information officer, which is basically five days a week, from 8 AM to 5 PM.  This past week, however, we had a big situation take place in our community and my honey has been working around the clock. One night he got in at 2 AM, another night, it was around 10 PM.  His phone has rang incessantly.  I have been very patient and understanding, grasping the enormity of the event and giving him the support and encouragement to do whatever he needed to do.  But last night, he got home in time for dinner but then his phone rang. We ended up eating without him again as he sat in the driveway responding to media queries and putting out little fires. He finally got inside and I heated up his dinner once again and got it all ready and his phone rang.  I kind of lost my cool. The longer he was on the phone, the more frustrated I became. I have not seen him in days, we have barely spoken two words to each other.  I had just about enough.  When he finally was finished, and we heated up his meal for the third time, I was trying to contain my irritation, but eventually it bled out into the conversation. I got snippy with him and ruined our first evening together in over a week.  

It's a horrible enemy, this jealousy bug. I allowed it to consume me for a little while and neglected to tell my husband how incredibly proud I am of him. That I recognize  how he selflessly gives himself to his job and community when they need him. He is patient and kind when he's dealing with reporters and family members.  He is ethical and above reproach.  He may not leap tall buildings in a single bound, but he is still a hero in my eyes and I love him.  If you have a husband (or wife) today that gives of themselves every day for other people, take a moment and tell him (or her) how proud you are of them. Even heroes need to know they're appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment