Saturday, December 21, 2013

"Why me mom? Why do I have this great life and she has nothing?"

My little girl got off the bus yesterday and walked in the house with tears streaming down her face. Of course, all of my mommy instincts kicked in and I was ready to take down whatever bully caused such pain to emanate from my daughter.  I immediately asked her what was wrong, was she hurt, did she get in trouble, did someone do something to her. Exasperated, she said "no mom, it's nothing like that."  Then I began to relax and took her to my room and climbed up on the bed with her to listen to her tale. She proceeded to tell me about a little girl who rides the bus with her. The little girl was crying on the bus so my daughter asked what was wrong. This young lady told my girl her life story. Her dad had stabbed her mother and killed her a few years ago. She has a little sister (I think she is in kindergarten), whom she takes care of. They live with their aunt who "doesn't treat them very good," their father is in prison and they never see him.  Bawling, this little girl told my daughter she wanted to spend Christmas with her mommy. That she wanted to be with someone who loved her and cared for her.  After my little girl spilled out this awful, heartbreaking story, tears flooded her beautiful cheeks, she looked at me and said "mommy, why me? Why me mommy? Why do I have this great life and she has nothing? Why do I have a mommy and daddy and presents and people that love me and she has no one?"  

Oh my...let's take a minute and consider this question. So many times we hear the statement "why me?" However, typically, it is because someone is lamenting something that has happened to them; something they are experiencing that seems unfair.  It is rare to hear someone ask the question because they see something unfair and awful happening to someone else, but they remain unscathed.  Is it the childlike innocence that my little girl  still possesses? Is it evidence of an inward beauty and love for others that prompted such a gut wrenching expression of sadness?  I honestly don't know, but it broke my heart and made it swell with pride, all at the same time.  What answer can a mother give to this question? And what can we do? My first instinct was to find the little girl, bring her into my home and give her everything she is missing. However, I recognize this might not be a realistic option.  I took my sweet girl's face in my hands and I told her how much I love her heart and her compassion for others. I told her that all we can do is pray for this little girl every day that God will wrap her in his love and give her what she is missing. That he will help her aunt recognize her sadness and make her feel loved, make her feel special. These things all sounded so trivial as I was saying them, but at this point, they are the best that I have. But I can also teach my sweet baby to recognize all the blessings that we have and never take them for granted. To embrace everyone she loves and appreciate them, even with all their faults.

Last night we took our children out to look at lights in different neighborhoods. I have one child who is "too cool' for such nonsense and really wanted to beg out and spend the evening with his friend. I had another child who was just a little snippy with everyone. Another one whose goal in life is to antagonize those around him and one who was feeling upset to her tummy and thought she was going to puke! At various moments during the evening, I wondered what I was thinking: stuffing all six of us into the truck, riding around neighborhoods where no one had chosen to decorate their yards, trying to make this picture perfect evening with a vehicle filled with imperfect people! Then we found this yard. Oh my!! So big and beautifully decorated, with the lights set to a radio station. We pulled over and for about 7 minutes, the car was filled with the sounds of the Christmas season, the faces of all those I love watched in wonder as the light show amazed and astounded them. For seven brief moments, no one was too cool, no one was bickering, no one was threatening to vomit! For seven brief moments I felt a total and complete peace fill the car.  We reluctantly pulled ourselves away from that lovely home and went to a local pizza joint. Around the table there was lots of laughing and joyful celebration. Together, we cleaned off an exorbitant amount of pizza and I was reminded of  how blessed we all are.  Every family has their issues. Every family is imperfect. Every family has the one that is too cool, the one that likes to argue, the one that is snippy, the antagonist and probably, the nauseated one! But, if you have a family that loves you. If you have a family you love. If you have even seven moments of perfect peace with them, you are blessed beyond measure. There are so many out there who would give their right arm for those seven minutes.   So this Christmas, when you're with your great aunt Gertrude who is driving you crazy, or a dozen other family members who make you want to pull you hair out, take a minute and find something wonderful and amazing in those moments, and say a prayer of thanks! Merry Christmas everyone!!!  May you all have at least seven perfect minutes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment